Parenting from the Inside Out – Course for Mental Health Professionals
Based on their bestselling book, Parenting from the Inside Out, Dr. Dan Siegel and Mary Hartzell offer this video workshop to professionals who support individuals on the journey of parenting. In this course, not only will you learn a philosophy of parenting that is based on neurobiology and attachment research, but you will experience how this material can be translated and presented when working with parents.
Whether you are working with parents individually, creating groups, providing education, or looking to develop greater self-understanding, this 10-hour intensive provides valuable insight into a new way to approach parenting, oneself, and relationships in general. By reflecting on how our childhood experiences influence us today, we can consciously begin to break unhelpful patterns, embrace emotion with understanding and empathy, and create the connections we want in life, especially with our children.
- How We Remember: Expereince Shapes Who We Are
- How We Perceive Reality: Constructing the Stories of Our Lives
- How We Feel: Emotion in Our Internal and Interpersonal Worlds
- How We Communicate: Making Connections
- How We Attach: Relationships Between Children and Parents
- How We Make Sense of Our Lives: Adult Attachment
- How We Keep It Together and How We Fall Apart: The High Road and the Low Road
- How We Disconnect and Reconnect: Rupture and Repair
- How We Develop Mindsight: Compassion and Reflective Dialogues
By the end of this course you will. be able to
1. Outline the five principles of the “Inside Out” approach to parenting
2. Differentiate implicit and explicit memory, including how each is encoded and influences present experience
3. Explain how the narrative process helps to integrate memory
4. Highlight the primary functions of the left and right hemispheres of the brain
5. Describe how contingent responding relates to an integrated brain, a coherent mind, and empathic relationships
6. Define the term integration and assess how it relates to emotional closeness
7. Identify the different aspects of communication based on the view of emotion as neural integration
8. Summarize the “Receive – Process – Respond” process of communication
9. Outline the pathways to disconnection as well as the pathways to collaboration
10. Highlight the primary findings of attachment research
11. Identify the four categories of child attachment and the associated parental interaction patterns
12. Assess how a parent’s ability to make sense of their life is the best predictor of their child’s attachment
13. Recognize how the adult attachment categories correspond with the categories of child attachment, and highlight the purpose of the Adult Attachment Interview
14. Utilize the Hand Model of the Brain to demonstrate the basic structure and function of essential brain areas
15. Differentiate the higher mode and lower mode of cognitive processing
16. Observe one’s own emotional responses and recognize feelings of openness to connecting with others
17. Distinguish types of disconnection and rupture in communication
18. Identify the steps to repair interpersonal ruptures
19. Define mindsight and summarize how it can be developed through self-reflection and reflective dialogues
20. Explain how a parent’s self-understanding and empathy can lead to a child’s secure attachment
Upon completion of course, please mark your status as “complete” and you will obtain immediate access to your exam in your course area. Once you complete and submit your exam, our team will process same. Upon passing the exam with an 80% or better, a digital CE Credit Certificate will be emailed to you once it is available. Please note that this process could take up to 2 weeks. If you have any special circumstances, please reach out to the Mindsight Team at email@example.com and we will do our best to accommodate.
Further, if you simply require a Certificate of Completion, or if you have any questions regarding this process, please email the Mindsight Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may watch the lectures as many times as you'd like and they will remain in your library forever.
Stream the video lectures on any computer, tablet, or mobile device of your choice!
A Certificate of Completion is available after completing this course. Please email the Mindsight Team at email@example.com to request a test.