Attachment in Psychotherapy and Everyday Life
- 11.75 hrs
- 6 Lesson(s)
- All Levels
- Learning Objectives
- CE Credit
Attachment research and theory is a part of the field of developmental psychology that examines how the relationship between a child and an attachment figure shapes the development of the child. The field of attachment focusing on adult experiences has two broad bases:
- One from studies of parent-child relations in which the parent’s adult attachment interview (AAI) findings have been shown to be the best predictor of the child’s attachment to that caregiver
- The other base is the study of adult attachment from the point of view of adult-adult relationships.
In this course we will apply the principles of IPNB to your psychotherapy practice, including couples therapy, and even in your everyday life, through the lens of attachment in practical ways for the clinician. An IPNB perspective prepares therapists to:
- Deepen and broaden their work
- Apply scientific knowledge in the clinical immersion of psychotherapy
When we combine attachment studies to the broader effort to understand the mind, what emerges is a rich, complex, and practical view of how relationships and the brain interact to “shape” who we are—to form the foundations of our mental experience, from how we regulate our emotions to the sense of our identity in life.
By the end of this course you will be able to
1. Understand how the mind can be viewed as both an embodied and relational process
2. Define the self-organizing aspect of mind
3. Identity two states outside the river of integration’s flow of harmony
4. Define the mental and relational state of presence
5. Identity four inner mental experiences that attunement enables an individual to resonate with
6. Outline how the state of receptivity emerges with trust
7. Name four questions of the Adult Attachment Interview
8. Identity the difference between Implicit and Explicit Memory
9. Define “narrative coherence” as a way of making sense in the AAI
10. Identify three aspects of neuroplasticity that are impacted by developmental trauma
11. Name the three S’s of attachment that lead to security
12. Define the two components of integration
13. Distinguish Linkage from Differentiation
14. Define Integration as the balance of differentiation and linkage
15. Outline what differentiation in a couple is and how it is distinct from linkage
16. Describe a non-integrated couples relationship
17. Name the ways chaos and/or rigidity can emerge in a non-integrated couple
18. Identify how making sense of one’s past attachment experiences can help create the integrated state of presence that enables integrative relating to emerge
19. Understand how the mind can be viewed as both an embodied and relational process
20. Define the self-organizing aspect of mind
21. Identity two states outside the river of integration’s flow of harmony
"The Lifespan Learning Institute and the Mindsight Institute are cosponsors of the Continuing Education programs offered."
Upon completion of course, please mark your status as “complete” and you will obtain immediate access to your exam in your course area. Once you complete and submit your exam, our team will process same. Upon passing the exam with an 80% or better, a digital CE Credit Certificate will be emailed to you once it is available. Please note that this process could take up to 2 weeks. If you have any special circumstances, please reach out to the Mindsight Team at [email protected] and we will do our best to accommodate.
Further, if you simply require a Certificate of Completion, or if you have any questions regarding this process, please email the Mindsight Team at [email protected].
Disclosure: The speakers, and planning committee members listed below have disclosed that they have no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests
You may watch the lectures as many times as you'd like and they will remain in your library forever.
Stream the video lectures on any computer, tablet, or mobile device of your choice!
A Certificate of Completion is available after completing this course. Please email the Mindsight Team at [email protected] to request a test.